History

Print Friendly

Now known as the Cooperative Communicators Association (CCA), this organization was formed following a communicators’ conference in 1953 at the University of Minnesota. It was originally organized as the Cooperative Editorial Association (CEA).

Today CCA has a membership of 350 cooperative communicators that work for various cooperative businesses—such as agriculture, electric and service—from the United States, England and Canada.

TIMELINE OF NOTABLE CCA HISTORICAL EVENTS

1953

Cooperative Editorial Association is formed at the University of Minnesota.

1954

The first official Institute was held at the University of Wisconsin.

1959

The H.E. Klinefelter Award is created to honor a cooperative communicator whose work is considered by their peers to be outstanding.

1977

The Michael Graznak Award is established to honor a member age 35 or under who has made superior contributions to co-op communications.

1985

Cooperative Editorial Association changes its name to Cooperative Communicators Association to reflect the broad scope of responsibilities held by cooperative communicators as well as the changing cooperative environment.

1989

Work began on the CCA Policy and Procedures Manual.

1990

A regional structure is created. Six regions were approved by members at the Institute this year.

1991

An Executive Director position is created to manage the association. CCA’s headquarters relocates from Springfield, MO to Austin, TX.

1992

The CEO Outstanding Communicator of the Year Award is established. The award recognizes the commitment of a cooperative chief executive officer to open communications as an integral part of an effective management style. CCA’s headquarters moves to Lubbock, TX.

1996

CCA website is launched.

1999

The Shirley K. Sullivan Award is established to give cooperative communicators financial assistance to attend their educational and professional development pursuits.

2000

The first educational scholarship was funded by the Sullivan Fund.

2002

Outstanding Leader award is established.

2003

CCA celebrates its 50th anniversary. Master Cooperative Communicator certification is established.

2004

Region of the Year Award is launched.

2008

A new CCA logo and tagline are adopted. Heuser Group takes over the management of CCA as Susie Bullock, long-time Executive Director retires.

2009

Board moves to the work plan strategic planning process.

2013

CCA celebrates its 60th anniversary.

2015

Atlas Management Resources take over the management of CCA as Pat Heuser of the Heuser Group retires.